2 Minute Tip: Bring Candy
Fun-size candy bars, Hershey’s Miniatures, Jolly Ranchers, and other candies are great, inexpensive treats to bring for your audience. You can toss them out as little rewards and incentives for folks who participate. Despite the low cost, folks often become enthusiastic at the prospect of winning a little treat regardless of their income level. Use this to your advantage to increase audience engagement.
Post Tip Discussion: Read Storytelling with Data
Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic ( @storywithdata) has written a great book in Storytelling with Data, and I highly recommend it. In it, she talks about using data visualization to make you a more effective author or presenter. There are four themes that resonated strongly with me.
- Do your prep work
- Plan your story
- Make sure your graphs and charts tell the story you want to tell
- Get rid of stuff that doesn’t matter
Much of this week’s episode is a deeper look at key passages in this book.
You can learn more about the book and go deep on other data visualization topics at storytellingwithdata.com
Call To Action
- Check out Storytelling with Data
- Visit the website storytellingwithdata.com
- Share your thoughts on data visualization in the comments below
- Bring candy to your next presentation
- Practice creating and refining your own data visualization
- Don’t get best…get better